The recipe is a very quick version that requires no béchamel sauce but is just as delicious (and is wheat free) so perfect for making when you're in a rush
- Heat the oven to 170C/gas mark 3.
- Cut the caulifower into florets and toss them in a bowl with the oil and maple syrup. Season well.
- Transfer to a gratin dish or roasting tray and cook in the oven for 15–20 minutes, or until the cauliflower is just tender.
- Put the crème fraiche, Gruyere and mustard into a bowl and stir to combine. Tip in the roasted cauli, mix until well coated and season.
- Sprinkle with the Parmesan and put back into the oven for another 10 minutes, until golden. Sprinkle with the chives and serve.
For an alternative topping, mix the Parmesan with chopped fresh herbs, breadcrumbs, crushed garlic and lemon zest, then sprinkle over before the final 10 minutes cooking time.
This recipe is taken from Leon: Fast Vegetarian by Jane Baxter & Henry Dimbleby (Octopus, £25)