Couscous With Seven Vegetables From Leon
- Serves: 4
- Preparation time: 55 minutes
You can mix up the vegetables in this tasty couscous dish depending on what your baby or toddler enjoys
- Heat the oil in a large pan, then add the onion and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the spices and harissa and stir well. Cook for one minute, then add the tomatoes with their juice. Bring up to a simmer and tip in the squash and the root vegetables.
- Add the 100ml water, stir and season well. Bring up to a simmer, then cover and cook over a low heat for 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are almost tender.
- Add the rest of the vegetables and cook for a further 10 minutes, pouring in a little more water if the mixture starts to stick.
- When all the vegetables are tender, add the drained chickpeas, the orange juice, then season and mix well.
- To cook the couscous, put the grain into a bowl and rub in the olive oil and a little salt. Pour over the boiling water, then cover tightly with clingfilm and leave to steam for 10 minutes.
- Fluff up the couscous with a fork, sprinkle with the chopped herbs, then serve with the vegetables.
This recipe is taken from Leon: Fast Vegetarian by Jane Baxter & Henry Dimbleby (Octopus, £25) Publishing in March 2014
PureeBlend up a mix of the cooked vegetables until smooth - add some couscous for extra texture.
Finger FoodMake sure some of the vegetable pieces are in easy-to-hold chunks for your toddler to pick up.