‘My daughter Olivia’s favourite food is pizza,’ says Italian chef Gennaro Contaldo. ‘She loves sausages and broccoli too. This pizza is nutritious and filling. It’s a meal on its own.’
- Preheat the oven to its highest setting.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan, add the garlic and sweat on a medium-high heat for a few minutes.
- Add the broccoli, sausage and salt, to taste. Sauté for 1 minute. Cover with a lid, reduce the heat to medium and cook for 15 minutes.
- Prepare the pizza bases. Sprinkle a little flour on a work surface. Using your fingers, spread the dough into a thin circle roughly 30cm in diameter.
- Repeat with another ball of dough. Sprinkle flour over 2 large flat baking sheets. Place the pizza bases on them.
- Put the tomatoes in a bowl, season with salt and pepper. Add a drizzle of olive oil and stir.
- Spoon the tomatoes over the bases. Add mozzarella, the sausages and broccoli, and drizzle with olive oil.
- Reduce the oven to 220°C/425°F/gas mark 7. Bake the pizzas for about 8 minutes, or until cooked.
Pregnant? Broccoli is rich in iron, which helps make extra blood for you and your growing baby.
Recipes adapted from Gennaro Contaldo’s Italian Family Favourites (£14.99, Pavilion). Recipe photography by David Loftus.