Getting a good night's sleep when you're pregnant can be a challenge - as if the constant toilet trips, hormones and shooting leg pains weren't enough to deal with, not being able to get comfortable as your baby grows is a common pregnany problem. Whether you're struggling with feeling too hot, finding a comfortable position or are being woken by those mum-to-be worries, we've got a few tips to help you get some much needed sleep, plus a list of the best pregnancy support pillows on the market.
How to get a good night's sleep when you're pregnant:
- Get some gentle exercise during the day - this can help ease your mind when trying to sleep and help combat any anxiety you might be feeling as you approach this huge life change.
- Keep your blood sugar stable - Opt for meals that are slow to digest, and make sure you drink a glass of cold water before bed to try and ease any heartburn symptoms.
- Keep the bedroom cool - It's very normal to feel warm during pregnancy, as your body temperature increases thanks to that extra pregnancy blood flow and raised metabolism. Try your best to keep the bedroom as cool as possible (ideally no more than 16°C) as a warm bedroom can disurb sleep.
- Take a warm bath before bed - It might be the last thing you feel like if you are feeling warm, but according to Sammy Margo, author of The Good Sleep Guide, a warm bath takes the blood away from your brain and on to the surface of your skin, helping you feel relaxed.
- Put down your phone - Avoid checking Facebook, Instagram and reading buggy reviews too soon before bed. Scientists have found looking at a screen stimulates your brain and makes it harder to drop off.
- Buy a maternity pillow - These can help ease night time pain in your joints and pubic bone area. From 22 weeks, lie on your left side as this will help the flow of blood and nutrients to your placenta. Providing that extra comfort, easing pressure on certain body parts and helping you settle in a safe position, they're an essential during pregnancy.
If you are looking for a pregnancy pillow, we've done some research and compiled a list of the best pregnancy pillows on the market.
This 4-star pregnancy pillow was shortlisted for a Mother & Baby award and continues to be a pregnancy favourite thanks to its 2-in-1 use. Not only will it give you a restful night's sleep and daytime comfort, it can be used as an aid for breastfeeding. Designed with a physiotherapist in order to ensure this pillow removes any pressure on the spine, if you're suffering from pregnancy back-pain, a pillow might help. This pillow consists of three seperate pieces that can be used together, or seperately for the perfect combination, with support for the whole body, the head and the shoulders to stomach. The whole pillow is machine washable and was dubbed like "sleeping on a cloud" by one of our real mum testers.
Another dual-purpose pillow, this 4-star product won a bronze Mother & Baby award in 2017. The microbead filling moulds to the shape of your body for optimum comfort, changing as your body does. Any back or pelvic pain? This pillow promises to alleviate it, plus give you an extra help when breastfeeding. Our tester Rebecca Wilcox told us: 'I think this product is wonderful, appropriately priced, versatile, flexible and extremely user friendly. I have found this one of the most useful products as a breastfeeding mother as I can mould the pillow to me and my baby in a variety of positions and locations.'
Another Mother & Baby award winner, this pillow can be used in ten different combinations, from pregnancy right up to the stroller stage. Whilst we're focusing on pregnancy, the pillow has adjustable straps to fit your waist, helping you get comfortable when you need it most. A good one to buy if you want a product that will last for more than the next nine months.
While most of these pillows are multi-purpose, this one is extra special. It not only supports your back, bump and hip during the night, it can also be zipped into a coil design to create a little nest for your baby to rest or play in. The best-selling product will have you sleeping through the night in no time.
This huge pregnancy pillow might not be suitable for every home, but is a great choice when it comes to comfort. The wrap around pillow provides full body support for your bump, back and knees and helps keep you in a side position during the latter months of pregnancy.
This ergonomically shaped pillow is small enough to give you support wherever you choose. Whether that's between your knees, behind your back or under your bump, this pillow is a good option if you don't want a huge pillow to store when you're not using it. What's more, it's more affordably priced than most pregnancy pillows ad gets a four star review on Amazon.
While this collection has four different letter shaped pillows, most mums-to-be seem to prefer the L shaped pillow, which offers full body and neck support. Fully machine washable, the pillows can also be used to aid breastfeeding. The premium collection is even coated in lavender to soothe you to sleep.
A great versatile option, this pillow can be moulded into an abundance of shapes to give you customised support for your back, bump and knees. Changing as your body does during pregnancy, it is sure to ease any aches to give you a restful night's sleep. Coming in a variety of cute prints, it's also machine washable.
One of the more stylish looking pillows on this list, this slim design moulds to whatever shape you like while also being comfortable. Another multi-purpose pillow, this can also be used for breastfeeding once your baby has been born. What's more, the cute cover is completely removable and washable.
Simple and affordable, this practical pillow will relieve the back, neck and shoulder pain that comes with carrying your growing baby. It comes with its own bag for easy transportation, plus doubles as a breastfeeding aid once you've given birth.