We all know how much children love splashing around in swimming pools, buildings sandcastles on the beach, or even just running around in the back garden. But how do we allow them to do as much playing in the sunshine as they want, while still protecting their delicate skin from UVA and UVB rays?
Sun protection should be at the forefront of your mind, whether you are at home or abroad. It should not just be reserved for your holiday but should be part of your everyday routine once the weather starts hotting up.
Here are Childs Farm’s top tips to ensure that everyone is fully protected and enjoying the sunshine safely:
- Babies under the age of six months shouldn’t be in the sun at all. Keep newborns in shady areas or under a big umbrella, and make sure they’re wearing long trousers, long sleeves and a hat. Babies in the pram should be covered, and keep checking the direction of the sun to make sure it isn’t shining into the pram.
- For children, always use sunscreens that have an SPF of 50+ and offer broad-spectrum protection against both UVA and UVB rays. Apply at least two teaspoons for the head and neck and two tablespoons for the body. Cover any exposed areas with sunscreen, and also apply it under clothes which have no UV protection.
- Make sure your children always wear a wide brim hat and quality sunglasses so they’re protected from top to toe.
- Keep children hydrated by giving your little ones a big gulp of water every 20 minutes. It’s very easy to become hydrated and to forget to drink if you’re out of your usual routine.
- Avoid the sun between the hours of 11am and 3pm – this is when it’s at its strongest. Sunburn damages the skin permanently, so at these times don’t take any chances, keep your children out of it completely.
- Remember to reapply the sunscreen frequently every 1-2 hours, and always after perspiring, swimming or towelling. A reduced quantity will lower the level of protection significantly.
Childs Farm has developed a range of sun care products that suit all skin types and all ages – and they can even be used on babies. With different applicators for your little ones to try doing themselves, the roll-on is a particular hit, there is something to suit all the family before and after sun exposure.
All of Childs Farm products are dermatologist and paediatrician approved as suitable for sensitive skin and safe for people who may be prone to eczema.
They contain naturally derived ingredients and are made with organic essential oils. Childs Farm never test on animals.
Check out Childs Farm sun protection collection, prices start from £4!
With naturally derived ingredients and essential oils, Childs Farm products help protect normal, sensitive and eczema-prone skin at home and when you’re on holiday. Click here to buy.