If you're looking for an unusual boy name that will help your baby boy stand out from the crowd, then you should look no further than these awesome and truly unique baby names.
Whether you're looking for a cool and unique boy name like Axel, a strong unusual name like Balthazar, or a cute option like Bubba, there are so many rare and unique name ideas for your baby boy, to consider.
Top 50 unusual boys names loved in the UK
- Abel - Hebrew, meaning ‘breath’ or ‘breathing spirit’. Associated with the biblical son of Adam and Eve, who was killed by his brother Cain.
- Anders - Scandinavian, meaning ‘lion man’. Currently the fourth most popular name for boys in Sweden.
- Asher - Hebrew, meaning ‘fortunate’ or ‘lucky’. One of the twelve sons of Jacob in the Bible, and one of the brothers who sells Joseph into slavery in the story of Joseph and his multi- coloured coat.
- Axel - German and Scandinavian, a Germanised form of the Hebrew Absalom, meaning ‘father is peace’. Made famous by Guns ’n’ Roses front man Axl Rose.
- Bryce/Bryson - Welsh, meaning ‘descendant of Brice’.
- Carson - alt. Carsten. Scottish, meaning ‘marsh-dwellers’.
- Colt/Colton - English, meaning ‘swarthy’. Evolved from the Old English name, Cola.
- Dawson - Old English, meaning ‘son of David’. Associated with the main character in the TV show Dawson’s Creek.
- Diego - Spanish, meaning ‘supplanter’. Has been in use since the eleventh century.
- Elias - alt. Elijah, Elio Hebrew, meaning ‘the Lord is my God’. Walt Disney’s father was Elias Disney. Actor Elijah Wood played Frodo Baggins in the Lord of the Rings films.
- Grayson - This popular boys name has long been a favourite alternative to 'Mason' and 'Jason'. Its English origins mean, 'the son of the baliff'.
- Griffin - English. A griffin is a mythical creature with the body of a lion and the head and wings of an eagle.
- Holden - English, meaning ‘deep valley’.
- Hudson - English, meaning ‘adventurous’.
- Jameson - alt. Jamison English, meaning ‘son of James’.
- Jasper - Greek, meaning ‘treasure holder’ or ‘speckled stone’. The stone jasper has been used for thousands of years for carved ornaments and jewellery. Jasper Conran is a modern fashion designer.
- Jeremiah - alt. Jeremia, Jeremias, Jeremiya Hebrew, meaning ‘the Lord exalts’. One of the main prophets in the Bible.
- Josiah - Hebrew, meaning ‘God helps’. One of the kings of Judah in the Bible.
- Kaden - alt. Kadin, Kaeden, Kaedin, Kaiden Arabic, meaning ‘companion’. Also the name of a town in Germany.
- Kyrie - Greek, meaning ‘the Lord’. Also a prayer sung at the beginning of the Christian mass.
- Lincoln - Lincoln is a cool, different name for a little boy, and means 'town by the pool'.
- Maddox - English, meaning ‘good’ or ‘generous’. Derived from Madoc, a legendary Welsh Prince who supposedly discovered America years before ChrisPopularher Columbus. Maddox Jolie-Pitt is the eldest son of Angelina and Brad.
- Malachi - alt. Malachy Hebrew, meaning ‘messenger of God’, the name of a Jewish prophet in the Bible. Also an Irish name.
- Maxwell - Latin, meaning ‘Maccus’ stream’.
- Nolan - Gaelic, meaning ‘champion’.
- Parker - English, meaning ‘park keeper’.
- Phoenix - Greek, meaning ‘dark red’. In ancient Greek mythology, a phoenix is a bird that has the power to regenerate itself from its ashes.
- Raymond - alt. Rayner; abbrev. Ray English, meaning ‘advisor’. Illustrator and author Raymond Briggs is known for The Snowman.
- Reid - Old English, meaning ‘by the reeds’.
- Remington - English, meaning ‘ridge town’.
- River - English, from ‘river’. Used as both a boys’ and a girls’ name, sometimes in the plural.
- Ryker - From Richard, meaning ‘powerful leader’. Possibly the coolest name on our list, Ryker not only sounds amazing but also means rich. It's a name your son will definitely be grateful for.
- Sonny - American English, meaning ‘son’. Singer Sonny Bono was half of the duo Sonny and Cher.
- Tristan - alt. Tristram Celtic, from the Celtic hero. One of the knights of the Round Table.
- Vincent - abbrev. Vin, Vince, Vinnie English, meaning ‘victorious’. Famous Vincents include actor Vince Vaughn, artist Vincent van Gogh and footballer-turned-actor Vinnie Jones.
- Walter - abbrev. Walt, Wally German, meaning ‘ruler of the army’.
- Wyatt - Teutonic, meaning ‘from wood’ or ‘from the wide water’. Famous Wyatts include wild-west sheriff Wyatt Earp and comedian Wyatt Cenac.
- Xander - Greek, meaning ‘defender of the people’. A short form for Alexander.
The unique baby boy names we love
Our team at Mother&Baby have seen many a unique name over the years, and we've compiled our favourites based on all the ones we've seen. Scroll through the gallery to see which unusual boys names came out top of our team poll.
- Taking inspiriation from the popular (and cool) musician John Lennon, this name has an Irish origin meaning 'small cloak'.
Liam Gallagher and Patsy Kensit used it for their son.
Unusual Japanese baby boy names
Take some inspiration from Japanese names with our pick of the top Japanese boy names here.
Creating your own unique boy name
It's so much fun to get creative when it comes to choosing a unique and unusual name for your baby boy, so if there's a name you love, why not try adding your own unusual spin on it to create a truly unique name for your tot. For example, you could take a popular boys name like Jacob and really make it your own by changing letters to make it Jakob or even adding to it to create Jacobus.
Unique and unusual celebrity baby boy names
Search all unique baby boy names
Want more inspiration? Scroll through our full list of some of the most one-of-a-kind, unique baby boy names and click to see their meanings.