These tasty tartlets are simple but look really impressive when served as a starter or a light lunch
1. Preheat the oven to 160oC, gas mark 3. Lightly oil six fluted metal tartlet tins.
2. Cut the filo pastry into 24 13cm/5” squares. Lightly brush four squares with oil. Sprinkle with a tiny pinch of salt.
3. Stack the squares on top of each other, rotating so that the corners are offset like the petals of a flower.
4. Place the stack in a tartlet tin, pressing well into the edge. Repeat with the remaining squares.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 7-8 minutes, until golden. Remove from the oven and keep warm. Preheat the grill to high.
6. Place the aubergine, tomatoes and red pepper cut-side down on a roasting tray. Lightly brush the aubergine slices with oil. Place under the preheated grill for 10-12 minutes, or until the red pepper and tomatoes are slightly blackened and the aubergine is golden.
7. Cut the aubergine into bite sized chunks. Remove the skin from the pepper. Cut the flesh into small squares.
8. Carefully remove the pastry cases from the tins and fill with the vegetables including the capers, olives and basil leaves. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
Recipe from Vegetarian Step-by-Step, part of Parragon Books’ range of Love Food cookbooks
Blend the aubergine, tomatoes and red pepper until smooth
Your toddler will love the flaky, crunchy texture of the pastry, and picking the vegetable chunks out of the casing.
Once your little angel is on the move, it’s nearly impossible to stop them in their tracks. To help your little wriggler get started on their new active adventure, we’re giving away £250 Asda voucher allowing you to buy a bunch of goodies for your on-the-go toddler.
Each month, Childs Farm's resident skincare expert will be tackling all your skincare concerns and giving you the correct know-how, to ensure the whole family has healthy and gorgeous-looking skin. This month's instalment is discussing bubble baths for your toddler and the number one product to try for lots of great-smelling bubbles which is safe for sensitive and eczema-prone skin!