Planning a fun day out with the kids? Why not enjoy a nature trail - there’s lots to learn and enjoy. Watch Angellica’s tip tips for making the most of a nature trail
Going on a nature trail with your little ones can be a great day out. There is lots to learn, from nature, trees and plants, to insects, birds and wildlife. You could even plan a trail on a local farm for added animal adventures. Plus, once you get home, you can extend the fun with drawings, stories, photo galleries, and much more. Watch Angellica Bell’s videos full of advice (above and below), and read more top tips below too.
1. Be adventurous with your location. Add an extra dimension by doing a sensory nature trail on a farm: explore the sights, sounds, smells, tastes and touch of nature.
2. Some farms will even allow children to milk the cows – a fascinating experience for little ones – and a chance to explain how natural ingredients make the foods they love.
3. If you’re doing a sensory trail remember to explain to your children each of their senses in simple terms at the start of the trail. Test them as you go - ask: “Can you hear that cow mooing? What sense are we using to do that?”
4. Take along foods to stimulate their sense of taste – and to keep hunger pangs at bay. Dairy snacks like fromage frais, squeezy yogurts and tangy fruit are all good choices, rooted in nature.
Ask the children to give their toothiest grins, or test each other’s strength
5. If you do get to see the cows being milked, you can talk to children about how milk contains calcium, which is important for healthy bone growth. To make it fun, ask the children to give their toothiest grins, or test each other’s strength.
6. Use themes and challenge your children to seek out objects and plants, sounds or sights that are certain colours or begin with different letters – ask: ’Who can see something starting with B?’ or ‘Can you collect 3 things that are green?’
7. Create a tick-list for children to mark off as they find things and even create a certificate for the end of the trail.
8. Older children might like to take photographs of their finds, or even film the trail using your mobile phone.
9. Always be prepared for a sudden down-pour, this is Britain after all!
Children are fascinated with which animals give us which foods
10. Use Easter as a great opportunity to talk about the life cycle of real eggs. Children are fascinated with which animals give us which foods. Why not create a quiz for the children? Ask them: “Which animals give us the main ingredient in fromage frais?” Or “List as many milk-based foods as you can”.
11. Early Spring is a good time to plant summer fruits such as strawberries and raspberries. You can do this at home, or, if your farm has a fruit patch, why not go down and offer to help plant them with your little one – then you can go back when they’re ripe later in the Summer and pick and enjoy the fresh fruits together.
12. Chat with your children about how fresh fruit is seasonal but we’re also lucky in that we can enjoy fruit year round too.
13. In the Summer pick-your-own fruit farms are a great place to teach children where their favourite flavours in foods come from and how different fruits grow.
14. Children love messy play and squishing and squashing fresh fruits – but don’t waste them. You can use as delicious toppings to decorate fromage frais and attempt to make smoothies with them.
The Nipper Single is an excellent solution for parents who require a multipurpose pushchair for use in both urban environments as well as scenic off-road routes. The Nipper is best known for being lightweight, versatile and very practical.
ASDA Little Angels have your baby’s interests at the heart of what they do and have designed their dedicated newborn nappy range to ensure your new bundle of joy is comfortable, safe, dry and as happy as can be.
Joie are giving you the chance to win the brand-new Signature aeria 2in1 pram™ worth £425! Enjoy extra face to face time with the height adjustable 4in1 pushchair that keeps your passenger close to you.
It’s important to pick a pushchair to suit your family's lifestyle so it fits in as well as your new addition. The Cybex range of pushchairs offer style, quality and functionality to fit you and your growing family.