450g (1lb) fresh Salmon fillets
2 tsp salt
½ tsp freshly ground white or black pepper
6 tbsp coarsely chopped spring onions
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh root ginger
1½ tbsp groundnut oil
2 tsp sesame oil
Enjoy a quick and easy dinner with Ken Hom’s fast salmon with spring onions recipe.
1. Rub the salmon fillets with half the salt and the pepper.
2. Bring 600ml (1 pint) of water to a simmer in a frying pan.
3. Add the salmon, simmer for 2–3 minutes, cover tightly and turn off the heat. Let stand for 8 minutes.
4. To make the sauce, combine the spring onions, ginger and remaining salt in a small bowl. In a small pan, combine the oils and heat to smoking point.
5. Remove the salmon from the water and place on a plate. Scatter over the spring onion mixture, then pour over the hot oils and serve.
Peeled fresh root ginger can be stored in a glass jar, covered in rice wine or sherry, and sealed. It will keep for several months, and has the added benefit of producing a flavoured wine that can be used in cooking.
Ken Hom’s range of chilled ready meals are available from Tesco. To download Ken Hom’s Chinese New Year 2015 booklet, visit www.kenhom.co.uk