‘For my children, a meal isn’t complete without a pudding, and that includes when we are camping,’ says cookery author Ali Ray. ‘These pancakes are a perfect campsite pud, using any summer berries you like.’
- Put the flour, bicarbonate of soda, yoghurt, milk and egg into a bowl, and then whisk them together. It will be lumpy at first, and you can add a little more milk if you need to. The mixture needs to be smooth, and thick enough to ‘gloop’ off your spoon.
- Let your pancake mixture rest while you heat your griddle or frying pan so it’s quite hot. Add the oil and butter.
- Drop some of the batter on, enough to make a circle about the size of a crumpet. Sprinkle some of the fruit on the top of each pancake and cook until the batter starts to bubble.
- Keeping turning over until cooked through, then pop on a plate. Continue until you have used all the batter.
- Serve the pancakes with a dollop of plain yoghurt and some extra berries. Tuck in and enjoy!
Pregnant? Strawberries are rich in vitamin C, needed for the development of your baby’s bones and skin. They are also rich in iodine, which boosts the brain and nervous system of newborns.
Recipe adapted from Pitch Up, Eat Local by Ali Ray (£16.99, AA Publishing and The Camping and Caravanning Club). Photography: © Ali Ray, AA Publishing.