These beef turnovers are a Spanish delicacy which your whole family will love
1. To make the pastry, sift the flour and salt into a large bowl. Stir in the butter and egg and then gradually work in enough warm water to make a firm dough. Knead for 5–10 minutes until the dough is smooth. Leave to rest, covered in cling film, for 15 minutes while you prepare the filling.
2. For the filling, heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onion for a few mins until it begins to soften. Stir in the minced beef and cook until browned. Add the red pepper, garlic, tomato puree, chilli flakes, cumin seeds, paprika and raisins and season well with salt and plenty of ground black pepper.
3. Add a few tablespoons of water at this stage if the mixture looks too dry. Simmer for five minutes and then remove from the heat and leave to cool.
4. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6.
5. Roll out the pastry to a thickness of about 3mm. Use a saucer as a template to cut out 24 circles measuring about 12cm in diameter. Divide the filling between the dough circles and moisten the edges with a little water. Fold over the dough to enclose the filling and press along the edges to seal.
6. Pinch the sealed edges and twist over to create a rope effect, or simply press a fork along the edges. Glaze with a little milk and bake for 10 – 15mins until golden. Serve warm.
Nuna’s Ellis Collection provides a classic design for the modern cosmopolitan family. With expertly crafted and blissfully soft fabrics spun from thread-dyed yarn and Merino wool, the Ellis Collection puts baby’s comfort first and foremost, just like you.
Mama Bamboo have created a new award-winning range of premium, sustainable, eco-friendly organic nappies and wipes to help and support parents who want the best for their little ones whilst doing their bit for the environment.