You can use your favorite variety of mushrooms in this recipe. These crêpes are also delicious made with one cup of feta cheese in the filling in place of the Monterey Jack and sprinkled with just the Parmesan over the top.
To prepare the crêpes:
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, and xanthan gum until well combined.
2. to mix the batter in a blender: Place the eggs in the blender jar. Add the flour mixture, milk, butter. Cover the jar and blend on medium until the batter is smooth, about 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the jar and blend for another 10 to 15 seconds. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour before making the crêpes.
To mix the batter with an electric mixer: In a large bowl, using an electric mixer fitted with the wire whip beater attachment, beat the eggs on medium speed. Gradually beat in the flour mixture, alternating with the milk, in three portions each, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in the melted butter. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat until the batter is smooth, about 30 seconds. Cover and chill for at least one hour before making the crêpes.
To mix the batter by hand: In a medium bowl, using a wire whisk, lightly beat the eggs. Gradually beat in the flour mixture, alternating with the milk, in three portions each, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in the melted butter. Whisk vigorously until the batter is very smooth. Cover and chill for at least one hour before making the crêpes.
3. Heat an 8-inch nonstick frying pan or crêpe pan over medium heat. Lightly whisk the crêpe batter until smooth. Grease the pan with a small amount of butter or nonstick cooking spray. Lift the pan off the heat and pour in three tablespoons of crêpe batter. Immediately tilt and swirl the pan to evenly coat the bottom with a thin layer of batter. Keep swirling the pan just until the batter is set.
Return the pan to the heat and cook until the edges of the crêpe are dry and the underside is pale with light brown flecks, one to 11⁄2 minutes. Using a spatula or knife, gently loosen the edges of the crêpe and then use a spatula or your fingers to help turn the crêpe over. Cook until the bottom has light brown flecks, about 30 seconds. Slide the crêpe onto a plate, cover with foil, and keep warm while making the remaining crêpes.
To prepare the filling:
1. Heat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
2. In a large frying pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Stir in the mushrooms, shallots, and garlic and sauté, stirring frequently, until tender, three to five minutes. Add the spinach and stir to combine. Cover the pan and cook just until the spinach is wilted, about one minute. Uncover and stir in the salt and pepper. Remove the pan from the heat.
3. Evenly divide the spinach mixture between the warm crêpes, spooning the mixture down the center of each. Sprinkle one cup of Monterey Jack over the top of the filling in the crêpes. Roll up the crêpes and arrange in a single layer in the prepared pan, seam side down. Sprinkle the remaining Monterey Jack and Parmesan evenly over the top of the crêpes. Cover the pan with foil.
4. Bake until the crêpes are hot and the cheeses are melted, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve hot.
Gluten-Free Breakfast, Brunch, and Beyond by Linda J. Amendt, published by Taunton Press
Stock up on all the essentials and equipment you need for Pancake Day. Take a look at our pancake recipe so you know what ingredients you need and then all that’s left for you to do is perfect your flipping expertise…
Feed your babies and toddlers with organic fruit and vegetables delivered to your door by GIGI's ORGANIC. We deliver the freshest organic fruit and vegetable subscription boxes weekly in London and Surrey to help mums with natural baby-led weaning and feeding growing families.
With over 40 years of dedicated research, the team at Aptamil Follow On Milk really know their stuff when it comes to follow on formulas. Here they answer some common questions to help you learn more about follow on milks.
Get on the right path to feeling more yourself again after birth with Soak for Bits, a new midwife-developed, soothing bath soak, from My Expert Midwife, aimed at helping women’s postpartum recovery...
To celebrate the launch of M&S’ exciting new baby range, Little Smiles, we’ve put it through our Tried&Tested panel to see how it stacks up. Here we take a look at the new M&S nappies, available in six sizes, ranging from £2-3.
To celebrate the launch of M&S’ exciting new baby range, Little Smiles, we’ve put it through our Tried&Tested panel to see how it stacks up. Here we take a look at the new M&S Little Smiles All Over Body Cream and Top-To-Toe Wash.
To celebrate the launch of Soak for Bits, the new arrival from My Expert Midwife, we have teamed up with the award-winning skincare brand for pregnancy, birth, new mums, and newborns to give 5 Mother&Baby mums the chance to win their very own Birth Recovery Duo.
To celebrate the launch of M&S’ exciting new baby range, Little Smiles, we’ve put it through our Tried&Tested panel to see how it stacks up. Take a look at what Mother&Baby parents thought of the new nappy pants...