30 Minutes Preparation + 6-8 Hours Cooking
Blend two cooked meatballs with some of the cooking sauce until smooth
Chop a meatball in half and serve with some strands of tagliatelle
50g pitted black olives, chopped
greated rind of ½ lemon
500g extra-lean minced beef
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
400g can chopped tomatoes
1 tsp caster sugar
150ml chicken stock
salt and pepper
small basil leaves, to garnish
tagliatelle tossed with chopped basil and melted butter to serve
Set up this slow-cooker recipe in the morning and you’ll have a delicious stew waiting for you by the evening
1. Preheat the slow cooker if necessary; see the manufacturer’s instructions. Put all the ingredients for the meatballs except for the oil in a bowl and mix with a wooden spoon. Wet your hands and shape the mixture into 20 balls.
2. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the meatballs and cook over a high heat, turning until browned on all sides. Lift them out of the pan with a slotted spoon and transfer to a plate.
3. Make the sauce. Add the onion to the pan and fry, stirring, for five minutes or until lightly browned. Add the garlic, tomatoes, sugar, stock and salt and pepper and bring to the boil, stirring.
4. Transfer the meatballs to the slow cooker pot, pour over the hot sauce, cover and cook in a slow cooker on a low heat for 6–8 hours.
5. Garnish with basil leaves and serve with tagliatelle tossed with chopped basil and melted butter.
This recipe is from Hamlyn All Colour: 200 Slow Cooker Recipes by Sara Lewis, published by Hamlyn, £4.99.