If you’re expecting twins, or have baby number two on the way, entering the world of double buggies can seem daunting. Whether you’re worried about fitting the buggy through the doors of the bus, how heavy it’s going to be to push, or how bulky it’s going to look, we’ve got it covered with this handy guide.
In this article:
Like always, you’ve got plenty of options on offer. Most double pushchairs will have independently reclining seats which are crucial if you’re pushing a baby who needs to lie flat and a toddler who wants to watch the world go by. There’s also the seat positioning – do you want your little ones sitting side by side or facing different directions? Whatever your preference and budget, we’re sure one of our top picks will work for you.
The best double buggies
The Silver Cross Coast promotes comfort and style while being incredibly practical and efficient. The Coast is suitable for little ones from birth and has an optional tandem seat or car seat. You can also choose whether you want your baby to face you or the world.
- Item weight – 10.2 kg
- Dimensions – L92-112 cm W60 cm H91-107 cm, folded: L94 cm W60 cm H34 cm
- Age range – newborn to toddler: suitable from birth up to 6 months using the carrycot, and from 6 months to 25 kg with the pushchair seat attachment
- Features - 4-way independent wheel suspension, puncture proof tyres, quick and easy to fold
- Includes: chassis; carrycot; pushchair seat; ventilated hood, carrycot apron; seat liner; rain cover; insect/mosquito net; cup holder and shopping basket
Tested by mum Laurie for the Mother & Baby awards 2020, she said: “This pram is super sleek. The attachment of the seat to the body chassis is really easy to release and attach. The pram folding system is really swift to drop and erect and folds up and down within seconds. The pram features a fabulous adjustable handle which ensures real comfort for both myself and my husband who is much taller than me.”
Read our full review of the Silver Cross Coast here.
Half the price tag of some of the other pushchairs on this list, the Little Nipper Double is a lightweight, side-by-side buggy that can have either one or two carrycots attached. Weighing just 11kg, it is one of the lightest double buggies on the market and our panel of mum testers agreed it was definitely easy to push around. That said, despite being a lot narrower than other side by side prams, the buggy is still pretty bulky when folded, so it’s worth checking the dimensions to ensure it will fit in your car boot.
- Item weight - 11 kg
- Age range – from newborn to approx. 4 years old
- Features - one hand fast fold, lockable 360-degree swivel front wheels, quick-release rear wheels
Tested by mum Kim Hardill for the M&B Awards 2017, she said: “Yes, I would definitely recommend this Little Nipper Double pram. For me it folded really easily, without too much effort, I really liked the design, I liked that hood comes far forward keeping the sun from children’s eyes. The children looked really comfortable in this pram. The basket underneath was a good usable size. However, it would not fit in my car with the seats all up.”
Read our full review of the Out ‘n’ About Little Nipper Double here.
Designed with the growing family in mind, this pushchair can be adjusted to push one, two or even three children. The basic price includes a carrycot and seat unit, whilst the second toddler seat is an additional £219.99. Although being slightly on the heavy side, the Uppababy Vista handles with ease over all terrain and looks and feels expensive. With plenty of handy features to make it worth it’s price tag, our mums loved the freestanding fold, making it easy to get this rather large double buggy into a small car boot and the carrycot which is built for overnight sleeping.
- Item weight - Frame + Seat: 12.4kg, Frame: 9.1kg, Seat: 3.3kg
- Dimensions – folded: L44 x W 65.3 x H 84.5cm approx, unfolded: L91.4 x W 65.3 x H 100.3cm approx.
- Age range – carry cot: suitable from birth to 9kg, toddler seat: 6 months to 22kg
- Feature - full-size reversable toddler seat, travel system compatible, reversible seat, removable and washable fabrics, all-weather protection, easy to activate brake system, includes carrycot rain cover and insect net
Tested by mum Katie Gresty for the Mother & Baby awards 2018, she said:“Yes, I would recommend the Uppababy Vista. I loved the ease of switching between pram and pushchair, and thought the pushchair was beautiful to look at and very sturdy. It is super easy to wipe clean and the ventilation in hood very useful. I also loved that all the extra rain covers were included in one set.”
Read our full review of the Uppababy Vista here.
The slightly more advanced version of the Little Nipper Double, the V4 version is still remarkably light, only weighing 12.8kg. At 72cm wide, you’ll still be able to fit this side-by-side pushchair through most doorways. Available in a number of different colours, with independently reclining seats, this buggy has the option to attach either one or two carrycots. With handy storage pockets, a shopping pouch and rear wheel suspension, our mum testers agreed this pushchair was definitely easy to get around with.
- Item weight – 12.8 kg
- Dimensions – 119 x 72 x 96 cm approx.
- Age range – suitable from newborn to approx. 4 years old
- Features – independent sun canopy's, peek-a-boo window, auto-locking fold, all-terrain three-wheeler pushchair, independent multi-position backrest, 5-point safety harness, independent rear suspension with quick-release wheels
Tested by mum Clare Moore for the Mother & Baby awards 2018, she said: “I would absolutely recommend this to anyone wanting a side by side double. It seems really well made and the green looks lovely in the countryside. It is also really surprisingly light to push and feels really durable. That said, it did take me more than one go to get the hang of folding it down, especially in my sleep-deprived panic, however the instructions are really easy to follow with good pictures!”
Read our full review of the Out ‘n’ About Nipper Double V4 Pushchair here.
The Baby Jogger® City Mini® GT2 Double has an all new design with Forever Air rubber tyres and all-wheel suspension providing uncompromised agility on any terrain with two. The signature quick fold, adjustable handlebar, and hand-operated parking brake provide you the ultimate convenience while the adjustable calf supports and near-flat seat reclines allow you to find the most comfortable position for your children. Create a travel system with the City Mini® 2 Double carrycot and car seat adapters or customize your ride with a variety of accessories!
- Item weight – 19.4 kg
- Dimensions – 77.98 x 19.99 x 89 cm
- Age range – from birth up to 22 kg for each seat
- Features - All-terrain forever air rubber tyres, extendable uv50+ canopies, quick and simple fold, auto-lock, adjustable calf support, multi-position (with near-flat) seat recline and 5-point stroller harness
Tested by mum Lyndsay for the Mother & Baby awards 2021, she said: “With two under two this is the best tandem pushchair I have used, it’s so easy to push, feels really lightweight and not at all bulky and cumbersome, so it really makes getting around with the two little ones so much easier. It bumps up and down kerbs effortlessly and the suspension makes it smooth for the little ones on bumpy ground.”
Read our full review of the Baby Jogger City Mini Double here.
The Fitty Jogger DS Combi is suitable for both newborn and toddler and is a great pushchair that has been designed to accommodate everyday life. The Fitty Jogger is beautifully designed so that it is suitable for more than one child. It has built-in suspension, three puncture-free tyres, a large shopping basket, a footmuff and tan leatherette handles. It is easy to manoeuvre, compact and lightweight.
- Item weight – 23.1 kg
- Age range – newborn and toddler (seat from 6 months)
- Features - free footmuff, changing bag, tan leatherette handles, adjustable handle, 3 puncture free wheels, compact and lightweight
Tested by mum Gemma for the Mother & Baby awards 2019, she said: “This product is a good price for a double pushchair. The price is competitive and there are a few options of how you can position the two babies. It is also helpful to be able to have the option to use it as a single. However, with all products of this kind, there is one child who is close to the ground without a good view of what's going on around them.”
Read our full review of the Jogger Fitty Double Tandem Travel System Pushchair here.