There is nothing more exciting than filling those nursery drawers with the cutest little baby grows. But it can be hard trying to find affordable, hard-wearing baby clothes for a newborn, and there's always the question of how many do you actually need?
To help make your nesting stress-free, we've done the searching for you with our handpicks for the best baby clothes for newborns...
What baby clothes do I need to buy for my newborn?
As adorable as those baby converse might seem, you probably won't be putting your newborn in them for the first few weeks. Instead, stock up on:
- Babygros or bodysuits - You can never have too many of these, but it all depends on how often you want to be washing. It's good to get a mix of long sleeves and shorts too, depending on the weather. Check out these coming home outfits.
- Sleepsuits - Make sure when choosing sleepsuits that you look for popper fastenings to make changing your baby easier, especially during the night.
- Blanket or sleeping bag - It's always good to have spare of these for any nighttime accidents, so whether you're choosing to swaddle or to use a sleeping bag make sure you're stocked up on at least 3!
- A hat - Buying a couple of hats for your newborn is a good idea, you won't need them for in the house but they are ideal for even that short walk to the car!
- Scratch mits and socks - You won't need too many of these, so just add a couple of pairs of both to your shopping list.
- Pramsuit - Depending on the season, you might need to get a warm, snuggly onesie for your baby when you go out.
The best baby clothes for newborns:
You will need plenty of bodysuits for sunny days or for layering up your newborn! This pack of 3 from Gap are perfect to pop away in your nursery drawers.
Review: "Bought these for the patterns, but I love the fit and feel even more. Great buy for our baby boy and will be purchasing more. Highly recommend."
These adorable sleepsuits feature the popper fastners we recommend buying for a quick and easy nappy change in the night. They're super soft and have the lovely little star features to add a bit of character to the sleepsuits.
Review: "Soft well made pack of 3 sleep suits bought as a present. A good weight, design and indeed soft to the touch."
Perfect for summer babes, this Mori sleepsuit is made from a breathable bamboo and organic cotton blend to keep your youngster comfortable at night. A zip on the front makes dressing and changing quick and simple.
In a gorgeous Buzzy Bee print, this sweet set contains a long-sleeved babygrow, coordinating short-sleeved body and knotted hat which is presented in a handy drawstring bag. Made from super soft organic cotton, making it ideal for delicate new baby skin, it also has a printed back label for extra comfort.
This cute all-in-one has a brushstroke-style print and is made from super-snug jersey cotton that will be gentle against your baby's delicate skin. It has a handy zip opening, to make those changes a breeze.
This cute pack of bodysuits are suitable for both boys and girls from and are available in a number of different sizes. With popper fastenings for easy changing, these soft organic cotton jersey bodysuits are a great addition to your newborn’s wardrobe and also add a pop of colour.
How adorable is this set from Boden? Complete with popper fastenings at the crotch and shoulders plus secure drawcord waist for speedy nappy changes, the striped leggings have bright star patches on each knee.
These soft, fine-knit, neutral little socks will be ideal for keeping those little feet cosy!
This clever invention from The Gro Company makes swaddling your baby simple. It's extremely easy to use with no folding needed and a long zip that opens from the bottom for easy nappy changes. Suitable for babies from birth to three months.
Review: "Love this product! Wish I'd bought it with my first baby. He has lots of room to wiggle his hips and legs, plenty of room around the neck, it just keeps his little arms all snug to his body which he seems to like. Highly recommend."
Whilst most newborn sleepsuits will come with fold over cuffs, bodies often don’t. Stock up on these organic cotton, super soft scratch mitts, designed to stay put on even the wriggliest of babies!
Review: "Good essential for a new baby, pure soft cotton and white is unisex so great if the gender is not known. Good value and price too."
This quilted pramsuit will keep your little one snug in wintery weather thanks to the faux-shearling lining, with fold over feet and mitts and a double zip opening for easy changing. Available from newborn up to two years, we love the bear ears and embroidered paw details.
Featuring little black and white safari animals printed on fresh white cotton, this adorable baby hat with turn back brim is sure to keep your baby's head warm. You can even buy it with a matching sleepsuit.