This winter warmer will fill you up and any extra portions can be easily frozen for later
1. Fry the cumin and coriander seeds in a dry pan over a medium heat until fragrant. Add the oregano, fry for a few seconds, then immediately remove the mixture from the pan.
2. Put the seed mixture and the Brazil nuts into a blender and grind to a powder. Set aside. Preheat the grill to high.
3. Brush the aubergine slices with oil put in a roasting tray with the red pepper, cut-side down. Place under the preheated grill for 7-10 minutes, turning the aubergine slices once, until the aubergine is golden on both sides and the red pepper is blackened.
4. Cover the red pepper with a clean tea towel for 10 minutes to loosen the skin.
5. Heat the oil in a heavy based casserole over a medium heat. Add the onions and fry for five minutes, until translucent.
6. Stir in the powdered seed mixture and garlic and fry for a further 2-3 minutes.
7. Peel the skin off the peppers and slice the grilled vegetables into bite-sized chunks.
8. Add the tomatoes, chickpeas, red pepper, aubergines and stock to the seed and garlic mixture. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
This recipe is from Vegetarian Step-by-Step, part of Parragon Books’ range of Love Food cookbooks
Blend the cooked casserole mixture until almost smooth with a few lumps for added texture
Make sure the chopped veg is cut into chunky, finger-friendly pieces that are easy for your toddler to pick up.
With cold and flu season soon approaching, now is the perfect time to start building up your immune system. And as a mum-to-be, strengthening your body’s defences can help build up your baby’s too – so everyone wins!