Dates provide the sweetness in these delicious brownies, so there’s not a grain of refined sugar in sight. Instead, they provide protein, fibre and many vitamins, and are great for maintaining your digestive system. And they’ll satisfy all your cravings for chocolate too!
- Line a 20cm x 20cm square tin with baking parchment and heat the oven to 350°F/180°c/gas mark 4.
- In a food processor, whizz together the chocolate and bicarbonate of soda until it becomes a crumb texture.
- Add the dates and whizz until the crumb texture returns.
- Add the eggs, melted butter and orange zest and whizz until well combined.
- Tip into the prepared tin and bake for 25-30 minutes, until risen and cooked through. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack.
- Just before serving, cut into small squares and dust with icing sugar.
For more Christmas recipe ideas to try while you’re pregnant, download the December 2016 issue of M&B!