The lentils in this dish provide a protein hit that will fill you up. Any leftovers can be frozen for later
1. Preheat the slow cooker if necessary; see manufacturer’s instructions. Rinse the lentils well with cold water, drain and put into the slow cooker pot with the onion, spices, ginger, tomatoes and boiling stock.
2. Stir in a little salt and pepper, cover with the lid and cook on high for 3–4 hours or until the lentils are soft and tender.
3. When almost ready to serve, make the tarka. Heat the oil in a small frying pan, add the remaining tarka ingredients and fry, stirring, for two minutes.
4. Roughly mash the lentil mixture, then spoon into bowls, add spoonfuls of yoghurt and drizzle with the tarka.
5. Sprinkle with coriander leaves and serve with warm naan bread.
This recipe is from Hamlyn All Colour: 200 Slow Cooker Recipes by Sara Lewis, published by Hamlyn, £4.99.