- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4 and line a 12-hole cupcake pan with paper cupcake cases or lightly grease a silicone cupcake pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, sugar, eggs and golden/light corn syrup, using an electric mixer, until totally combined. Mix in all the remaining cake ingredients and spoon into the cupcake cases.
- Bake for 20 minutes until nicely risen and firm but springy when lightly pressed. Leave to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the frosting, beat the butter until smooth, using an electric mixer. Add the cream cheese and orange zest and beat for another minute or so. Add half of the icing/confectioners’ sugar and mix together on a low speed. Add the remaining icing/confectioners’ sugar and mix until the icing has a light, creamy texture. Chill until needed.
- When the cakes are completely cool, spread or pipe the frosting on top, sprinkle with extra orange zest and serve.
Extracted from 'In the Mood for Quick Family Food' by Jo Pratt ©Jo Pratt 2016 published by Nourish Books, London; Paperback £14.99.
Main photo: From 'In the Mood for Quick Family Food' by Jo Pratt ©Nourish Books 2016, commissioned photography by Gareth Morgans.