Mother and Baby

How to get help with your childcare costs

How to get help with your childcare costs

About to go back to work after mat leave but unsure what help with childcare costs you’re entitled to? We’ve waded through the baby benefits minefield so you don’t have to.

A recent survey revealed that parents spend a fifth of their income on childcare. But before you start blubbing into the baby wipes at the hopelessness of it all remember there is some help with childcare out there – it’s just knowing where to find it.

Are you eligible for tax credits?

This depends on your income and can bolster your bank balance in a number of ways. These are:

  • Child tax credit
  • Working families tax credit
  • Childcare element of working families tax credit
  • Disabled child’s premium

Will work help with childcare costs?

Your employer may operate a voucher scheme.

These usually mean a slight reduction in your salary, but you do not have to pay tax or National Insurance contributions on a significant chunk of your childcare costs per week you spend on approved or registered childcare.

However, vouchers may affect your entitlement to tax credits so check out the Government’s ‘better off calculator’ - visit

When will the government help out?

All 3 to 4-year-olds in England can get 570 hours of free early education or childcare per year. It’s usually taken as 15 hours a week for 38 weeks of the year.

Some 2-year-olds are also eligible.

Find out more about free childcare here

See, we told you it wasn’t totally hopeless, didn’t we?

You may also like
Related content:

© Bauer Media Group

Bauer Media Group consists of: Bauer Consumer Media Ltd, Company number: 01176085,  Bauer Radio Ltd, Company Number: 1394141 Registered Office: Media House, Peterborough Business Park, Lynch Wood, Peterborough, PE2 6EA H Bauer Publishing, Company Number: LP003328 Registered Office: Academic House, 24-28 Oval Road, London, NW1 7DT. All registered in England and Wales. VAT no 918 5617 01

H Bauer Publishing are authorised and regulated for credit broking by the FCA (Ref No. 845898)