Mother and Baby

MAT B1 form: What is a maternity certificate and how to get one

How to get a MAT B1 form

A Mat B1 form - it’s your ticket to claim maternity pay from and benefits from your employer, but how exactly do you get your hands on it?

In this article:

There’s so much to think about once you find out you’re pregnant – it’s tempting to skip the boring bit and plunge straight into planning babygros and buggies, but you do need to make sure your maternity leave and pay is set up. This involves getting the correct form from your midwife or GP.

What is a MAT B1 form? 

A MAT B1 form, or Maternity Certificate, is a form from the government that gives your employer medical evidence of your pregnancy and when your baby is due. Find out more about the MAT B1 form on the Government website. 

More related articles from

How to get your MAT B1 form?

Pregnant woman relaxing

Although your midwife should automatically give you a MAT B1 form at the antenatal appointment that takes places after your 20-week scan, you may need to request it - it is available from either your midwife or your doctor.

Why do I need a MAT B1 form? 

You'll need a MAT B1 form in order to claim for maternity pay and benefits, whether you're unemployed, self-employed, full time or part-time. The form allows you to claim for Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) from your employer. If you are self-employed, or you don't work, you will also need this certificate to claim for your 39-week Maternity Allowance from the government. 

In order to be eligible for Maternity Allowance, according to Gov UK, you will need to: 

  • Be employed but unable to claim for Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP)
  • Be self-employed and pay Class 2 National Insurance
  • Have stopped working recently 

When should I give my Maternity Certificate to my employer?

Once you receive your form, you’ll need to sign it, make a copy and then at some stage before you are 25 weeks pregnant (by the end of the 15th week before the beginning of your expected week of birth), you’ll need to give it to your employer, so either your boss or HR team. If you work two jobs, you'll need to give a copy of the MAT B1 form to both employers.

Once you've given it to your employer, you can start arranging you maternity pay and benefits. Remember you need to give your employer at least 28 days notice before you begin claiming your SMP, so it's a good idea to get this sorted sooner rather than later. 

That said, whilst it's tempting to share your exciting news with your colleagues right away, most people wait until after their 12-week-scan, when the risk of miscarriage is reduced. Bear in mind you can’t take time off for antenatal appointments until you’ve told your employer about your pregnancy.

What will my MAT B1 form look like? 

It's a pretty standard medical document, but here's what it looks like: 

Example of a MAT B1 form


What happens if I lose my MAT B1 form? 

If you do end up losing your MAT B1 form, you are able to apply for a duplicate, but this can take some time and hold things up. For this reason, we recommend making a copy as soon as you sign it and keeping it in a safe place before the baby-brain sets in! 

What else do I need to tell my employer when pregnant? 

Either in a letter or an email (check with your HR department for your company policy), you need to tell your boss your due date and the date you want to start your statutory maternity leave and pay.


Have approx 60 seconds to spare? Why not join thousands of mums-to-be and start your very own Amazon baby wish list! They're absolutely free to create and perfect to send to the friends, aunties and your mum to make sure you're getting the baby products you really need...Click here!


Other contributors

Maria Martin - Digital Group Editor - Mother&Baby and Yours

Related Content

Related content:

You May Also Like