The UK isn’t exactly renowned for sunny weather, but come summertime (and those occasional sunny days), your little’s one’s eyes should always be a top priority - that’s where the best baby sunglasses come in. Not only will a good pair of shades make your child look super cute, but they’ll also protect them in the warmer weather and help them see more easily.
Kids’ sunglasses can be tricky to pick, especially if you’re little one has anything to say about it. We’ve combed through the internet and selected the best baby sunglasses available, sure to please both parents and tot.
Related: Baby sun safety guide for parents
Do babies need to wear sunglasses?
They certainly do. Sure, the sunnies may be adorable, but sunglasses aren’t just a stylish accessory - they offer your baby real protection against the sun.
What to look for when choosing the baby sunglasses
UVA/UVB protection: Pick glasses that filter at least 99 per cent of UVA and UVB rays to protect your baby’s eyes.
A strap or headband: When it comes to newborns and young children, it can be a tough job to get them to keep their sunglasses on. Consider opting for wraparound sunglasses rather than ones that sit on their nose - not only will it stop light from entering through the sides, but it’ll prevent them from slipping down their nose. Or from pulling them off entirely. If you fall in love with an adorable pair that doesn’t have one, don’t worry, you can buy a strap separately.
Comfort: Choose your baby sunglasses based on the material they’re made from. If the design is based on a more flexible substance, this will almost guarantee comfort for your little one.
Lenses: Sunglasses lenses are available in many different tints but don’t worry too much about the darkness of the tint UV blockage is more important. You may want to consider polarised lenses, it will reduce glare and increase your baby’s visibility.
Want to check out the quality of lenses? Hold the sunglasses at arm’s length and look through them at something with a straight line. If the straight edge sways when you move the lenses across in a line, the optical quality is poor. If it stays straight, then you are good to go!
Strength: Pick out a pair of sturdy sunglasses: plastic or alternative tough materials that won’t break easily if dropped. Polycarbonate lenses are recommended as they are durable, won’t break or don’t scratch easily.
The best baby sunglasses 2022
Instead of searching far and wide for the best baby sunglasses, we’ve pulled together a list of our favourites, including some options for older kids. All you have to do is choose the cutest one for your tot.
JoJo Maman Bebe Kids Flexible Sunglasses
The detachable strap of these sunglasses from JoJo Maman Bebe are also adjustable, ensuring a snug fit for your youngster and that they won't get lost - or pulled off! We love that there are no gaps around the frames for sunlight to get through.
Perfect age for: Birth to six years
- Simple to use.
- Secure fit.
- Includes detachable, adjustable strap.
- The maximum UV protection.
Review: "Bought these for my 5 month old to protect her eyes from the sun. They work a charm do the job. When she tries to remove the glasses she cannot because of the handy adjustable strap."
KIDDUS baby Sunglasses
Are you heading on a British staycation with the family? These baby sunglasses from KIDDUS are a must-have for any parent. Not only will they easily fit in your baby changing bag, but they’ll also provide your baby total protection because they are made with the highest available filter (UV400).
Perfect age for: Newborns to two years
- Its adjustable band will fit children's heads up to 52cm.
- Comes with a FREE microfibre pouch for you to store the glasses in.
- The sunglasses have the highest available filter (UV400).
- Offers a 30-day unconditional money-back guarantee.
Review: "Bought these for our gorgeous granddaughter. They are totally adjustable over their heads. The underside of the adjustable velcro band - is lovely and soft and cushioned. My granddaughter is just 20 weeks old, but she didn't complain once about them - and was very happy to be in them. And she looked so cute and 'cool' in them as well! Much better for them, when in strong sunlight, to protect their eyes."
Babiators Flower Sunglasses
Get out the dressing up box and add these fun flower power sunglasses to your little one's collection. Not only are they good for playtime, but they also offer lots of UV protection when your child is out in the garden.
Perfect age for: Birth to five year olds.
• Yes there really is a drawstring bag included.
• These glasses are available in purple or white.
• Wow, we can't believe that Kidly offers a free replacement if lost or broken within a year.
John Lewis & Partners Kids' Dinosaur Wrap Sunglasses
Wow! How perfect are these shades for the little dinosaur fan in your life? As well as there fun design, they offer your boy or girl 100 per cent UV protection when running around a nursery, the park or in the garden.
Perfect age for: Toddlers
• Don't accidently pop these in the washing machine as these are wipe clean only.
• The lenses of these sunglasses are made from polycarbonate.
• We love how much of a bargain these are!
Baby & kids' sunglasses
Another gem from JoJo Maman Bébé, we can't get over how good these Baby & kids' sunglasses are. Not only are these available in five colours, but they come in three age ranges too. Whether you're going on holiday or need a new pair because your child lost the old ones, these are the ones to get.
Perfect age for: Newborn to six years
• These are a bestseller on JoJo Maman Bébé for a reason.
• Although they have a rigid frame, it means they have a secure fit for your tot.
• If your child hates wearing sunnies, there is a sunglasses strap to match.
Review: "These are fantastic glasses. They wrap around a little so good coverage. They have served us very well for 3 years, just minor scratches to lenses."
Roshambo Baby sunglasses
Your baby can chew and bend these shades to their heart's content as according to Roshambo, they're unbreakable. They are also extremely lightweight and built to float, so there's no need to worry about losing them in the pool or sea.
Perfect age for: Birth to four years
- Weigh just 28g.
- 100 per cent UVA/UVB/UVC protected.
- The flexible, lightweight arms bend gently inward to help keep the shades on your baby’s head.
Review: "These are brilliant. They are flexible, damage-resistant, and must be comfortable as my finicky 2 year will wear hers without fuss. She even asks to put them on whenever she feels like it! I spent a lot of time looking for sunglasses with real SPF protection to help keep her sensitive eyes protected all year long. We tried a few others first, but these are the only ones that have worked for us, so I've now bought 3 pairs."
Baby Banz Retro Banz
Best for UV protection
Choosing the right sunglasses for children is difficult. Picking the right sunglasses for newborns is almost impossible. Luckily here at Mother&Baby, we found these incredible glasses that have a headband to ensure they stay on. You'll never misplace your baby's eyewear again.
Perfect age for: Suitable from newborn to two years
- Don't worry about your little one dropping these. The sunnies are designed with category three shatterproof lenses.
- Not only does the band keep the sunglasses secure, but it'll also ensure kids don't lose them.
- These glasses will provide the full benefit of UVA & UVB Sun Protection.
Review: "These are by far the best sunglasses I have ever bought. I have already 6 pairs of them. One in the nursery, one at grandma's, one in the car, one always in my handbag (just in case) and two at home. I also have smaller sizes, as I started to buy them when my little one was 6 months old, now she is 4. They fit her head perfectly, no sun is getting in, they offer round the eye protection. They are dark, so my super sensitive to sun child doesn't cry at all. They stay on the head even when she runs crazy. They are easy for her to put on and take off herself if she needs them. Overall PERFECT."
Sunglasses Tiger Print
Help your cub have the best summer holiday with a pair of roarsome tiger print sunglasses from Boden. Not only do these look cool, but they're practical too thanks to the UV protection.
Perfect age for: Three to six-year-olds.
• These shades have total UV protection.
• We love that they feature a dark tint for sunny weather.
• The sunglasses come with a soft case and cleaning cloth to get rid of those sticky finger prints.
IZIPIZI Sun Kids Sunglasses
Available in yellow, blue, pink black and white, these IZIPIZI Sun Kids Sunglasses will protect your child from the sun's rays come summer or winter. Thanks to the handy silicone strap your child will never lose another pair of shades again.
Perfect age for: Newborns to five years
• As well as polarised lenses, this also offers UV3 protection.
• The perfect head size is 41-49cms, but the straight temple allows them to grow into it.
• These sunglasses come with a storage pouch.
Review: "Fits my newborn granddaughter perfectly. Super soft and looks gorgeous."
Baby's category 4 sunglasses
Recommended for hiking, these baby sunglasses are a must-have for any fun trips out. Whether you're popping to the local park, visiting a theme park or going for a long walk around a nature reserve, you should never leave home without them.
Perfect age for: Six to 24 months
- We love that there are no detachable parts to these kids' sunglasses.
- They are made from non-allergenic plastic.
- These are ideal for sunny weather because of the category four lens and the 100% UV filter.
Review: "Finally! Amazing price! So I bought this pair and babiators which are super expensive but now going to return Babiators as this pair from Decathlon does the job perfectly for my 4.5-month-old when taking her out in the pram, they stay on her face and don’t drop down, she doesn’t take them off and I’m finally able to have the pram hood down so she can look around without wincing at the sun constantly. They are lightweight, bendable and have the maximum category 4 eye protection, they feel high quality. I’m really pleased with this purchase."
KIDDUS Baby Sunglasses Polarized Lenses - Trucks
Don't forget to kit out your older children with the best kids' sunglasses! Whether your child is obsessed with trucks, unicorns, dinosaurs or space, there's an option available for them as these come in 15 different designs.
Perfect age for: Six and over
- These kids' sunglasses come with a 30-day unconditional money back guarantee and a 12-month warranty.
- They have a cool truck on them, but you can also opt for dinosaurs, hearts, unicorns, flowers, Vichy or tropical print.
- Not only are these glasses difficult to break, but they're also flexible on the temples to give a comfortable fit.
Review: "Though these are a little more expensive, they are brilliant! Resilient, well made, my son who breaks a lot of things has yet to break these! He is nearly 2 and fit him perfectly. Love the design too."
Babiators Original Navigator Sunglasses
Made from a flexible rubber that is claimed to be indestructible - these Babiators won’t break if your toddler bends or twists them. The lenses are impact and shatter-resistant, offering 100 per cent UV protection from the sun.
Perfect age for: Birth to five years
- UV400 lenses that offer 100% UVA + UVB protection.
- Free drawstring bag included to keep the glasses safe and sound.
- If you lose or break your Babiators in the first year, Babiators will replace them for free (all you pay is shipping).
Review: "Love the fit, colour of the frames, flexibility and great to know the guarantee covers a new pair if we have any mishaps! Really happy with our second pair of Babiators for our newest arrival - the pair look great together in their matching sunnies."
Sunglasses Red Hearts
These have well and truly captured the hearts of parents up and down the country. Just imagine how adorable your little one will look in the red heart sunnies.
Perfect age for: Children three and over
• Best for sunny weather as they feature a dark tint for sunny conditions.
• Rest assured that these have total UV protection.
• You'll be pleased to know that these heart sunglasses comes in a soft case with cleaning cloth.
Review: "Very cute and good value. My daughter loves them ❤️"
Baby & Kids' Sunglasses Strap
Next, we have the ultimate eyewear accessory - the sunglasses strap. This little accessory will fasten around your baby's head - gone are the days of spending an hour looking for them at playschool.
Perfect age for: Six months to five years
- OK, so technically not sunglasses, but this strap is good for keeping kids' sunglasses on.
- It has a Velcro™ fastening, which is easy to use.
- The strap is adjustable so that it can fit the back of your child's head.
Review: "These are great, kept my two year old from loosing them down his face which really frustrated him! Took a little while to get use to but he loves them not falling off!"