Mother and Baby

Top Maternity Pay Tips For Self-Employed Mums-To-Be

If you’re pregnant and working for yourself, you are entitled to support from the government. Read our simple, easy-to-follow guide

Working for yourself is the dream – no bitchy colleagues, overbearing bosses or meetings about meetings. But there’s a down-side if you’re pregnant, and, yes, it’s financial.  As a self-employed woman, you’re not entitled to Statutory Maternity Pay.

But fear not, we’re here to help and we think you’ll find there’s some monetary support, aka Maternity Allowance (MA) from the Government, too. OK, you won’t be splurging in Whistles any time soon, but hopefully you won’t struggle as much as you thought you might. Here, we answer some frequently asked questions about your entitlement:

What is Maternity Allowance? 

It’s basically a social security benefit that you’re entitled to from around the time your baby is due – the expected week of childbirth (EWC). Paid fortnightly, or every four weeks in arrears, you will receive this payment for up to 39 weeks, known as the Maternity Allowance Period.

Do I qualify for MA?

Yes, if you’re self-employed (you must be registered with the HMRC, paying Class 2 National Insurance Contributions or have a Small Earning Exception Certificate) for a minimum of 26 weeks in the 66 weeks to and including the week before you expect to give birth. This is called the Test Period.

Your earnings must also average a minimum of £30 per week. The 26 weeks don’t have to be consecutive and can also include part time work – which you count as full weeks.

Bear in mind that you won’t qualify for MA if you’re eligible for getting Statutory Maternity Pay from any employer. 

When does the allowance start?

Unless you’ve otherwise specified, the Maternity Allowance Period (MAP) starts on the Sunday of the 11th week before the week you expect to have your baby if you’re not self-employed at this time.

OK, you won’t be splurging any time soon, but you won’t struggle as much as you thought

However, if you still want to work on or after this time you can specify when you want your MA to start – it can be any day after you’ve stopped work to have your baby, ie your first day of maternity leave. Or you can start it later than that – but be aware that the latest date you can start it is the day after you give birth.

Are there any restrictions on MA?

The earliest you can submit your claim is the start of the 26th week of pregnancy (or 14 weeks prior to your expected due date). Ensure the date you write on claim form is not earlier than this! And you must claim within three months of the date your Maternity Allowance Period (see above) is due to start or you will lose money. For any queries, contact your JobCentre Plus claim line on 0800 055 6688.

What do I need to do?

You need to fill in form MA1 or phone Jobcentre Plus on 0800 055 6688. You’ll be asked to provide: proof of your income, so original payslips or a Small Earnings Exemption Certificate (if applicable), plus proof of the baby’s due date, for example, a letter from the doctor or midwife or your MATB1 certificate.

How much will my MA be?

From April 2013-April 2014, it’s £136.78 per week for 39 weeks, or 90 per cent of your average earnings if that’s the lesser amount. Your earnings are averaged over any 13 weeks in your test period.

But the 13 weeks do not have to be in a row so it’s best to choose the weeks you earn the most to help you get more MA. And, great news, you don’t pay tax or NI contributions on Maternity Allowance.

What if my baby’s born early?

Claim straightaway! Get onto your Jobcentre Plus. Your Test Period will not change.

What if I’ve been self-employed abroad?

Although MA is based on employment and earnings in the UK, if you’ve not worked or earned enough in the UK to get Maternity Allowance, but have also worked in certain countries, they might be able to take that work into account. 

Can I work while getting MA?

Yes, but only for 10 days, which are called ‘keeping in touch’ days. You can also ask Jobcentre Plus. You must also tell them of any work you do while you’re getting MA.

What happens if I get turned down for MA?

You’ll receive a letter telling you the reason. And Jobcentre Plus will also check to see if you can get Employment and Support Allowance.

Want to know more about Maternity Rights?

Related content:

© Bauer Media Group

Bauer Media Group consists of: Bauer Consumer Media Ltd, Company number: 01176085,  Bauer Radio Ltd, Company Number: 1394141 Registered Office: Media House, Peterborough Business Park, Lynch Wood, Peterborough, PE2 6EA H Bauer Publishing, Company Number: LP003328 Registered Office: Academic House, 24-28 Oval Road, London, NW1 7DT. All registered in England and Wales. VAT no 918 5617 01

Bauer Consumer Media Ltd are authorised and regulated by the FCA (Ref No. 710067)