For new parents, bath time can be a challenge but finding the best baby baths to make sure that the baby is comfortable and safe can help alleviate the stress of it, making bath time an enjoyable experience for both parents and baby alike.
Bath time is an opportunity to interact, play, and communicate with the baby, as well as provide the baby with a relaxing but thrilling sensory experience, so the last thing you need is to feel worried about the support-factor of your baby bath.
Why use a baby bath?
A baby bath is a product specifically designed to help you to bathe your baby. In the olden days, they used to bathe children in regular laundry basins but these had no support whatsoever and were basically accidents waiting to happen.
Thankfully, baby baths nowadays are tailored to give extra support that make sure the baby has the correct posture, securing the baby in place so there's no risk of the child slipping around or going under water. It's safe for babies, puts parents at ease, and reduces the stress at bath time.
Even though some parents prefer to bathe their babies in the bathroom sink, or even bathe with them in the shower, without a proper baby bath you're much more likely for little one to slip around and potentially risk an accident. That's why getting a baby bath is a sure fire way to make sure bath time is a safe and fun experience!
There are many types of baby baths, from simple baby baths to more elaborate, fancy ones, and you can have fun choosing which one is best for you.
Although it goes without saying, a baby should never be left unattended in the bath, no matter how safe and secure their baby bath is.
Choosing your baby bath
To create the best cleansing environment for you and your child, you need a baby bath with good support but that's not the only thing it would be wise to look out for. Here are some other factors to take into consideration when looking for the best baby bath, depending on your personal preference:
- Easy to clean
- Water capacity
- What ages it's for
- If it can fit in your sink
- Resistance and durability
- Comfortable smooth shape
- A plug at the base to easily drain out the water
- A hook or a suction cup so you can hang in the bathroom
- Thick BPA-free plastic for stability
- Slip-resistant backing to keep it from moving
Important: avoid any inflatable tub or any foam cushions, these products aren't safe enough to be used by babies.
The latest baby bath tech
The most modern update in the baby bath world is the new super-bath that has the built-in capacity to keep the water warmer for longer. Realistically speaking, this might be a bit of an excessive demand with most parents just wanting a safe and comfortable baby bath. Most of these baths are plastic so keep an eye out for BPA-free ones.
As mentioned above, deciding how long you want to use the baby bath for is imperative as some baby baths are only for the first few months. Most baths, though, can last you till the baby is well over one year old so if this is what you prefer, check out the infant-to-toddler tubs, so you can use it for longer.
In addition, some baby baths have plastic slots to hold baby cleaning supplies which you might find handy. Another extra feature is a temperature indicator. Something else that might be right for you could be a foldable baby bathtub that can make travelling much easier.
How much does a baby bath cost?
The most common and suitable baby bath models in the market right now range between £20-£50, but some state-of-the-art baby baths with lots of fancy features can cost well over £100. Have a look at our list below to find the best one for you.
Important points about bathing safety
- Always check the temperature of the water before putting your baby in. The water should be at the recommended temperature of 36-37 degrees Celsius. (You can buy a baby thermometer to make sure it's in the right temperature.)
- Never leave your baby unattended in the bath.
- Avoid using inflatable neck rings (or any kind of neck rings), they have not been thoroughly tested as they are one of the newest bath products on the market.
- NEVER pick up the bathtub with your baby inside as this can cause more than one type of accident.
The 5 best baby baths for you and your baby
- Easy to use
- Easy to store away
- Perfect for travelling mamas
- Super comfortable for the baby
- Leaves both of your hands free
- Makes it easy to play with the baby
- Great support for baby
- Can be used from newborn to toddler
- Bath, digital scale, and water thermometer all in one
- Fold and store bath sling
- Super convenient collapsible design
- Storage hook