If your child is about to turn three then you are finally out of the terrible twos! You survived!
Now is the time where their personality starts to shine even more, their imagination runs wild and that bond between you becomes even stronger!
By three-years-old, your little one is probably talking and walking and they might be starting to name colours, play more creatively, follow short commands and understand counting or sorting. With their hand and finger skills improving as well, this means in terms of toys to improve their development, the possibilities are endless.
If you are unsure of what to buy your little one, we outline some types of toys that are ideal for a three-year-old. We then give you a gallery of wonderful examples that your toddler will surely love.
What are the best toys for a three-year-old?
- Problem-solving toys: Problem-solving skills are important and start being developed at around two-years-old. Examples: puzzles (12-20+ pieces), board games, memory games, flashcards and sorting toys.
- Building and construction toys: Building structures and creating things is important at this stage. If you want your child to be interested in STEM subjects (science, technology, engineering and maths) down the line then this is a good way to start. Examples: sand and water play toys, building bricks, colourful blocks, construction sets, magnets and gears.
- Role-play/Imaginative toys: When children are developing their language and social skills, role-play is an important way for them to learn. Role-play is also a fantastic way for them to get used to the world around them. Examples: tea-sets, food toys, child-sized kitchens, shop sets, pretend money, mini furniture, dress-up clothes and puppets.
- Literacy: As your child's language and reading skills begin to develop they will be able to enjoy books with more words.
- Creative toys: When children go to school they will be expected to be creative and constantly making things. It is a good idea to start early and is a fun way to occupy their time (you might even get a crafty present at the end of it!). Examples: crayons, markers, paint/paintbrushes, finger paints, coloured paper, chalk and chalkboards, modelling clay and playdough.
- Musical and visual toys: Listening to different sounds and noises can actually be beneficial to your child's development and communication. Examples: Mini instruments, toys with lights and sounds, CDs and DVDs with music and videos.
- Things to encourage physical skills: Your child is ready to get outside to explore more physical and outdoor play. Physical play helps them develop their muscles and hand-eye coordination. Examples: scooters, tricycles, balls for catching/throwing/kicking, plastic bats, bowling pins, targets and kids workbench tools.
- Interactive toys: It is never too early to introduce your kids to computers and software. Often technology is salvation to parents who need a quick and easy way to entertain their tots! Examples: tablets, minicomputers, basic coding kits and fake mobile telephones.
The best toys to buy for three-year-olds:
Key skills: Literacy
Children all over the world are very different, but they also have much in common. In this beautifully illustrated book, young children can learn all about what people in other countries eat, wear and play, and how they speak and celebrate. From breakfasts to birthdays, cakes to clothes, and hiccups to hellos, there are so many ways to say and do things - but everyone shares a love of family, friends, food and fun. This delightful book teaches us that despite different languages, customs andtraditions, it really is a small world, after all.
What toy does your three-year-old love? Let us know on Facebook or Twitter!
Make sure you're following Mother & Baby on Instagram for relatable memes, inspiring stories and parenting hacks!
Have approx 60 seconds to spare? Why not join thousands of mums-to-be and start your very own Amazon baby wish list! They're absolutely free to create and perfect to send to the friends, aunties and your mum to make sure you're getting the baby products you really need...Click here!