Even if the buggy's been ordered. but hasn't arrived yet, don't stress! There are only some baby essentials that you need from day one.
You can invest in that all-singing/all-dancing baby sensory system centre later…
Newborn baby essentials:
1) Somewhere for your baby to sleep
Whether you’re planning on buying a cot, crib or Moses basket
for your baby, you’ll need it as soon as your little one’s home from hospital. Check out the cot award-winners
, which mums loved!
3) Baby bedding
You’ll need sheets (ideally fitted) to cover the mattress and for your baby to sleep on. It’s a good idea to buy at least four as you’ll need to change them often. Your baby will also need a few blankets for warmth. Check out our guide to choosing the best baby bedding
for your little one.
Yep, your baby will start doing his business immediately – so you’ll need to be ready. First, decide whether you’ll be using disposable or reusable nappies
and then stock up on enough to get you through at least the first week at home with your tot – you won’t want to be dashing to the supermarket for more every day.
Unless your home is small enough for you to hear everything throughout it, a baby monitor is essential. Here’s everything you need to know about buying one
7) Changing station
An area where you’ll change your baby’s nappies is crucial. Here, you’ll need a changing mat, clean nappies, a place for dirty nappies and any wipes
or creams you may need. Changing tables differ in price and style, so plan, which you think, suits your home and needs.
8) Feeding chair
Whether you’re breast or bottle feeding
, you’ll need somewhere comfortable to sit with your baby each time he’s hungry. If you already have the perfect chair in your house, it’s a good idea to move it into the room that your baby will be sleeping in to make the night feeds easier.
You can’t get your baby safely home from the hospital without the use of a baby car seat
. Before your due date arrives, make sure both you and your birth partner know how to fix it and strap your baby in – some can take a bit of getting used to.
Baby wipes will be your new best friend for, oh, about the next 10 years. And they’re useful as soon as your baby arrives. Take a look at the best ones available here.
New baby buys that will come in handy:
- Baby bath: Ensure bathtimes are fun and safe for your newborn. Some parents prefer to bathe their babies in the bathroom sink, or even bathe with them in the shower, without a proper baby bath you're much more likely for a little one to slip around and potentially risk an accident.
- Sling: Slings are a great way to carry a newborn as it means you can have closer contact with your little one - meaning they're constantly feeling snuggled and happy. Also perfect for wearing whilst pottering around the house!
- Bath thermometer: A crucial piece of baby equipment that will let you know whether the temperature of your baby’s bath water is safe.
- A steriliser: Before your baby reaches about a year old, it’s important to sterilise all bottles, breastfeeding equipment and teething products before every use in order to keep your little one safe.
- Baby wipes: From mopping up endless drools and spills to removing your last bit of mascara, the humble wipe is a godsend for every mum.
- Nappy bin: The handy invention ensures your home stays odour-free and stop you from having to fill your regular bin with these smelly deposits.
Jobs to do before the baby arrives:
To give you one less thing to sort out, here’s our handy Mother&Baby nesting checklist...
- Finish any DIY products: Make sure you’ve (read: partner – you’re far too busy watching Orange Is The New Black) has finished off all those DIY jobs you’ve been meaning to do, but avoid painting as paint fumes from latex paints can be toxic in pregnancy.
- Give your house a proper clean: One of the most common features of the nesting instinct is getting your home ready for your newborn (cue frenzied hoovering and scrubbing). Well, they do say a tidy home equals a tidy mind…
- Get your ‘baby areas’ ready: Let’s face it; you’re going to be having a lot of disrupted nights so make sure your baby feeding and changing areas are kitted out with everything you’ll need, at arms reach. Trying to remember where you left the nappy bags at two in the morning is not fun.
- Choose your buggy: The average baby spends two hours a day in her buggy, so it pays to do your homework. Features to include - size, folding ability and comfort. If you need any more inspiration – see which buggies these celebrity mums have picked. See Mother&Baby's guide to the top pushchairs, here
- Order/buy all your baby essentials: Wash and prepare your newborns clothing, blankets and towels to ensure all irritants are taken out of the fabric and stock up on baby supplies. You can never have enough nappies!
- Batch freeze meals: You’re going to need all the energy you can get in the first few weeks as the reality of being a 24/7 mum to a newborn, kicks in. It’s likely you won’t have time to make yourself hearty meals, so make sure you’ve got some to hand in the freezer. Stocking up on plenty of nutritious snacks to keep you going throughout the day (and night) is also a must.
- Install the car seat: After the initial few days back at home, it’s likely you’ll want to start getting out and about with your little one to introduce the bub to friends and family (there’s no way your mum in law is seeing the chaos of your living room!) Make sure you’ve installed your car seat beforehand to avoid a stress when you’re in a rush. A complicated installation and lack of sleep is not a recipe for success.
- Get ready for the birth: Hospital bag packed? Birth plan sorted? All you need to do now is a practice run to the hospital and you’re ready.
- Finally... RELAX! You’re having a baby after all.
Looking for more inspiration? Now read:
Make sure you're following Mother & Baby on Instagram for relatable memes, inspiring stories and parenting hacks!
Subscribe to Mother&Baby magazine for expert tips, must-have products and invaluable advice for mums, delivered straight to your door.
Whether you’re planning your new baby essentials shopping list, giving friends and family gift ideas, or planning for your baby shower, the Amazon Baby Wish List allows you to keep track of all your shopping ideas in one place. Click here to start yours today!