Finding the best baby playpen can be a game-changer when it comes to safely confining your baby or toddler. Confinement is necessary for kids' safety and for parents to be able to get anything done, but this doesn't have to be boring for the children. Our selection of large and fun baby playpens will mean the end of protesting to get out of what they feel is baby prison (hopefully)! The correct playpen will give your child a safe space to play and provide the supervising adult with peace of mind.
What is a baby playpen and do you need one?
A baby playpen is an enclosed play area that gives your baby a safe place to play, always under the watchful eye of an adult. The self-contained units are usually made from either wood, plastic or metal. Most baby playpens are lightweight so they can be easily carried around the house and stored. As much as you may want to cuddle your baby 24 hours per day, 7 days a week, it's pretty much impossible. A baby playpen will not only make your life easier, it will also give your baby some sense of independence at an early age. To use, simply set up your chosen playpen on a flat floor surface, fill with toys, and watch them play while you perhaps do something else on your hefty to-do list.
What are the best baby playpens to buy?
There's a huge range of playpens on the market to suit a wide variety of tastes –both adult and child– and budgets and we've picked some of the best for you to choose from. Scroll down to see our top picks for the best baby playpens available.
- Blends easily with any decor scheme
- It has manageable panels, so you can change its shapes
- It's very plain, so you need to add some exciting toys for your baby
- It’s portable and folds into a compact travel bag
- It has a weather resistant canvas floor
- There is no door so you have to lift your baby in and out
Read the full review about this product.
- It comes in a large 1.5 metres square
- There are anti-slip play mats
- 200 bright coloured balls are included in the price
- It requires a lot of space to make full use of this playpen
- This trusted company have been in business since 1967
- It's simple and effective
- It can also be used as a room divider
- You’ll need to add all the baby entertainment equipment yourself
Read the full review about this product.
- It's perfect for spending lots of time outside
- It has a weather shield that protects from UV, rays, wind, and sand
- It comes with an over-the-shoulder carry bag
- It's only for when your baby is still small and not crawling yet as escape would be too easy
- It’s very colourful with different shapes, patterns, and designs
- It has in-built toys and activities
- It can be bigger or smaller by simply adding or removing panels
- You have to buy the balls separately
- Made from European furniture-grade hardwood
- It has three adjustable height options for the various baby-toddler stages
- Features lockable wheels so it's easy to move around from room to room
- You need to buy the mat insert separately
- You'll need to remember to lock the wheels to stop it from moving about
Choosing the best baby playpen for your baby
In order to find the best playpen for you and your baby, the first thing you need to think about is how much floor space you have. There’s no point buying something that doesn’t fit in your front room. Next, look something with a strong construction but that is lightweight with foldable features for easy storage, or wheels for easy transportation. There are so many different designs and shapes for baby playpens so you are sure to find something that's suitable for you.
The types of baby playpens
- Traditional wooden baby playpens: This type is usually more spacious and can easily match with the house decor. They provide plenty of room for your baby to play safely.
- Coloured plastic baby playpens: These are eye-catching and fun for baby but usually large and harder to move from room-to-room, so make sure you have enough space for it.
- Metal structured and fabric-sided baby playpens: These are better for smaller spaces and very easy to keep clean. These tend to be incredibly durable which is great if you're planning to have more than one child.
How much does a baby playpen cost?
A basic model will set you back about £30, whilst some of the fancier ones can cost well over £100 depending on the type of baby playpen you choose. The average price for a good playpen is about £50-£60.
Important: Avoid buying a used playpen if possible as over the years several popular baby playpens have been recalled. It's better to buy a new one to keep your baby completely safe or at least research the second-hand model you are buying to make sure that they are still deemed safe for use.
Important safety points for baby playpens
Here are some important things to note about playpen safety to avoid accidents and injury.
- Only buy a playpen with the BS EN 12227:1997, 1999, or 2010 safety mark.
- Never leave children alone and unsupervised in a playpen.
- Keep the playpen clean.
- Make sure there is no large item inside the playpen that your baby can step on and climb out.
- Never leave a playpen near an open fire or other heat sources.
- Don’t tie anything across the top of a playpen as this is a strangulation hazard.
- Never leave a playpen near doors or windows that can be opened.
- Keep playpens away from any dangling cords or cables.
- Make sure that the baby playpen is in good condition with no holes or broken pieces of wood or plastic.
What do you think about these best baby playpens? Let us know on Facebook or Twitter!
Make sure you're following Mother & Baby on Instagram for relatable memes, inspiring stories and parenting hacks!
Join the club! Introducing our brand, spankin’ new Facebook group called #mumtribe. Simply search ‘#mumtribe’ into the search bar and meet like-minded mums, win gorgeous goodies and have some fun!
Have approx 60 seconds to spare? Why not join thousands of mums-to-be and start your very own Amazon baby wish list! They're absolutely free to create and perfect to send to the friends, aunties and your mum to make sure you're getting the baby products you really need...Click here!