How do you choose the best dummies for breastfed babies?
- The dummies need to be made of latex, and be BPA- and phthalate-free
- The dummies need to be sized and shaped for your baby's mouth - always check the advised age range
- The dummies need to leave your baby's nose free
- The dummies need to be taste-free and odourless
- It’s better to invest on a dummy approved by the British Dental Health Foundation
How to use dummies
- Limit how long your baby uses a dummy
- Most experts advise starting using a dummy only after the baby is at least one month old and preferably getting them used to it when your baby is feeding well
- Most experts advise weaning your baby off his/her dummy around 12 months
- Don’t give a dummy dipped in sweet foods, like honey or juices
- Try to use an orthodontic or flat dummy; some pieces of evidence show that they are better for teeth development.
- Don’t force your baby to use a dummy; if they don't want it, let it be
If you aren’t sure how to use a dummy, read more here: when is it right or wrong to use a dummy?
Pros and cons of using a dummy for breastfed babies
Although there are pros and cons of using dummies, many parents will turn to them at some point during their babies lives.
Pros of using dummies for breastfed babies
- Dummies can prevent your baby from sucking their thumbs
- Dummies are also called pacifiers, as they can calm your baby during times of agitation
- You can use a dummy to distract your baby during vaccinations
- If your baby has colic, using a dummy can keep them calm
- Most premature babies are given a dummy
Cons of using dummies for breastfed babies
- Sometimes dummies can interfere with breastfeeding; to avoid this you need to make sure your baby is feeding well and gaining weight before introducing a dummy
- It can be really hard to break the habit of using a dummy
- If your baby uses a dummy all day, it can be harder for them to communicate with you or begin to make sounds
Why not join thousands of mums and start your very own Amazon Baby Wish List? They're absolutely free to create and perfect to send to your family, friends, and colleagues to make sure you're getting the baby products you really need... Click here!