Any parent will know, potty training is no easy feat, but when combined with travelling things can get even harder.
That's why you need to find one of the best travel potties and seats - essential if you want an easy, fuss-free journey, and be able to keep up your child’s toilet training as you go. So how do you find the best travel potties and seats for you?
What is a travel potty?
It does what it says on the tin - a potty for when you're out and about, to help support your toddler's potty training. You can find two main types of travel potty: one that is just a seat support to place on top of a normal toilet, and the other is a potty. Look for BPA-free plastic and – most importantly of all – choose something that’s super easy to clean.
One other feature that’s important to focus on is how easy the travel potty is to carry around. There’s no point in having a fantastic, does-everything travel potty if you can’t actually fit it in the boot of your car or a luggage rack. Look for one that is like a small case, something that’s foldable and practical.
How to use a travel potty or seat
We spoke to potty training expert Amanda Jenner, who gave us her top tips on potty training while travelling out and about:
- Take a potty everywhere - either buy a travel potty or pack up the one you're using at home - don't expect your little one to sit on a public toilet.
- Make sure everyone who looks after your child when they are not at home, for example, nursery teachers, childminders, and grandparents, are informed about your potty training plan and what you expect - communication is key.
- Keep giving your little one reminders when out and about - you might be doing it at home, but try to ask your tot if he/she needs to use the bathroom or the toilet every 20 minutes or so.
- Remember everything is easier at home - when a child feels confident using the potty at home is different to when they feel confident out of the house.
- Overall, when away from home on a short or long trip, it's essential to stick to your routine and to get support where you can.
The best travel potties and seats
Take a look at our list of the best travel potties and seats to keep your little one happy wherever they are, before graduating to the big seat.
Tested by mum Nicola Hogan for the Mother&Baby Awards 2018: "I would definitely recommend this product as it has been a god-send! My son is toilet-training at the minute and we were finding it a real struggle to keep up the training when out and about. We’ve been able to take the My Carry Potty with us now, meaning that he will always have a toilet on the go! My son can’t open it himself which is convenient as it means there is no risk of spillage. It is a perfect size to be portable as it’s not too big to be clumsy and fits in the pushchair tray easily. I really like the deep bowl, it means it can be used a few times while you're out before it needs emptying."
- Shortlisted in the 2017 M&B Awards Best Potty Training Products category.
- It can be used at home or on the go.
- It can stand alone as a potty.
- It can be converted to the top of a toilet when you're on-the-go.
- It has a non-slip base for extra security and can be used with Polette Plus disposable or reusable liners.
- The plastic potty is easy to wipe clean, and it's a convenient little product being able to attach it to the top of the toilet when your little one is ready.
Tested by mum Rachel Robinson for the M&B Awards 2017: "I like how you can use it on normal adult toilets and also use it as a potty when away from loos. I think it’s great that it comes with the liners. It's quite small so can be taken around when out and about the sides fold down. Really like the idea of this and think it’s great for potty training."
Tested by mum Sarah Jayne for the 2019 M&B Awards: "This product is extremely convenient. It is expensive but it is good quality and comparable to the cost of the average nappy brand. It is so easy to carry, folds up, fits into my bag and it has its own bag too to keep everything contained. The disposable bags are very sturdy. It can be used as a standalone potty with the legs flipped down or as a toilet seat suitable for little bottoms on any normal toilet either at home or out and about."
- Multi-award-winning potty - it was Shortlisted in the 2014 M&B Awards in the Best Potty Training Products category.
- It has an innovative design perfect for making potty training cleaner and easier.
- With a unique pouring duct and handle, you can dispose of any contents easily making it great for travelling and disposal on-the-go.
- It's sturdiness and larger seat makes it comfortable for growing toddlers.
Tested by mum Sophie Knight and her son, Eli: "This is really easy to use, the main selling point being how easy it is to pour everything away down the toilet - it's very easy to clean too, and lightweight so OK for carrying when you're out and about. It's not a compact travel potty, but for ease of use it's great."
Now for something completely different - a disposable, recyclable, eco-friendly potty.
Tested by mum Karen for the 2020 M&B Awards: "This product is compact, light and easy to pop into a bag for potty time on the go. The product is a single-use item that is to be disposed of the following use. Due to the lightweight nature of the product, it is made essentially of cardboard, you can really forget that you are carrying it around. It can be a permanent feature in your bag without causing extra bulk meaning one less thing to pack and one less thing to worry about. The product is easy to use and child-friendly, my little girl was happy to sit on it as if it was a regular potty."