Any parent will know, potty training is no easy feat, but when combined with travelling things can get even harder. Having the best travel potty or seat is essential if you want an easy, fuss-free journey, and be able to keep up your child’s toilet training as you go.
So how do you find the best travel potties and seats for you? The first step is to understand what you’re looking for. A baby travel potty and seat is usually a plastic support to help your toddler to stop using nappies and to start using the toilet.
You can find two main types of baby travel potty and seat: one that is just a seating support and another one that actually works as a toilet, having a place to collect your toddler’s pee and poo. Look for a good material, BPA-free plastic and -- most important of all! -- choose something that’s super easy to clean.
One other feature that’s important to focus on is just how easy the travel potty is to carry around. There’s no point in having a fantastic, does-everything travel potty if you can’t actually fit it in the boot of your car or a luggage rack. Look for one that is like a small case, something that’s foldable and practical.
How much does a baby travel potty and seat cost?
You can pay a lot of money for a luxury travel potty, but most come in at between £10-30.
Important points about a baby travel potty and seat safety
- Avoid using a baby travel potty and seat that’s broken
- Make sure you always clean the baby travel potty and seat using baby safe products and ideally also a bacterial killer.
- While we’re big fans of buying second hand if you’re on a budget, we wouldn’t recommend buying a second-hand travel potty and seat unless you are absolutely certain it’s been well maintained along the way.
How to use a baby travel potty and seat
According to potty training expert Amanda Jenner, the best tips about how to use a baby travel potty or seat are:
- Take a potty everywhere - either buy a travel potty or pack up the one you're using at home - don't expect your little one to sit on a public toilet.
- Make sure everyone who looks after your child when they are not at home, for example, nursery teachers, childminders, grandparents are informed about your potty training plan and what you expect - communication is key.
- Keep giving your little one reminders when out and about - you might be doing it at home, but try to ask your tot if he/she needs to use the bathroom or the toilet every 20 minutes or so.
- Remember everything is easier at home - when a child feels confident using the potty at home is different to when they feel confident out of the house.
- Overall, when outside home in a short or long trip is essential to stick to your routine and to get support where you can.
The Best Baby Travel Potties and Seats
Take a look at our list of the best travel potties and seat to keep your little one happy whenever he/she are, before graduating to the big seat.
- It's a Mother and Baby Gold Winner 2018.
- Fun animal design.
- Lightweight and portable.
- You can take it everywhere.
- Integrated handle and a twist button for easy opening.
- The bowl has a splash guard and once sealed, it's leak-proof and odour proof.
- It’s both regular home potty and travel potty.
- It can stand alone as a potty.
- It can be converted to the top of a toilet when you're on-the-go.
- It has a non-slip base for extra security and can be used with Polette Plus disposable or reusable liners.
- The plastic potty is easy to wipe clean, and it's a convenient little product being able to attach it to the top of the toilet when your little one is ready.
- This soft seat prevents any splashing and provides comfort for your baby when they go to the toilet.
- The foam is durable and secure, it's also super lightweight making it perfect to use as a travel potty when you are on the go.
- Easy to clean and affordable.
- It’s favourite of most parents.
- It's compact and lightweight.
- It has removable basin for easy cleaning, a high back for support and a splash guard to prevent spills.
- It’s useful for any on-the-go emergencies.
- It's small enough to be easily transported.
- It fits onto most toilets and it comes with disposable bags, absorption pads, and a travel bag.
Multi-award winning potty.
- It has an innovative design perfect for making potty training cleaner and easier.
- With a unique pouring duct and handle, you can dispose of any contents easily making it great for travelling and disposal on-the-go.
- It's sturdiness and larger seat makes it comfortable for growing toddlers.
- It's great for on-the-go.
- It makes easy to pop into a bag and keep close.
- With 4.5 stars on Amazon, it's highly recommended by parents for both at home and travel use. It's also great for parents who don't want their little ones sitting on public toilets, preventing the spread of germs.
- Made from an environmentally friendly material.