There are a few staple things that should be in your toddler's wardrobe, and a good raincoat is definitely one of them, particularly in the UK!
Rainy days should never stop play - with the right rain jacket, waterproof trousers and wellies there's nothing to keep your toddler from adventuring outside, whether it's a quick shower or it's raining cats and dogs. A waterproof coat is also an essential for things like if your tot attends forest school.
When looking for the best kids raincoat for 1-3 year olds there are a few important things to bear in mind:
- Breathability - how warm does the coat need to be? If you're looking for something thicker perhaps a winter toddler coat would be a better fit. When trying on, also think about how many layers you're going to want to be able to fit underneath.
- Water resistant/waterproof - if you want something that can put up with a brief spring shower as well as persistent rain, choose waterproof over showerproof.
- Durability - this coat needs to keep up with your toddler, to cope well with mud, lots of running, water, jumping in puddles
- Drying time - let's face it, no one wants a house full of damp coats. It's also more than likely that as soon as your toddler has decided to come in they'll immediately want to go play outside again - so a kids coat that is easy to dry is a must.
- Washability - can you pop it in the washing machine if it gets caked in mud?
Here are some of our picks for the best toddler raincoats, as well as some waterproof trousers and all-in-one rain suits...
The best kids raincoats for 2021
With a range of fun designs to choose from inlcuding a unicorn, duck, dinosaur and shark, your toddler is going to love this raincoat so much they'll be wishing for it to rain! Coming from a brand like Regatta you know it will deliver on performace too, so it's a win win.
- Breathable shell jacket
- Waterproof with taped seams to stay dry
- 100% Polyester
If you're looking for a raincoat that will keep your toddler warm for the last hit of winter, this fleece lined coat is a great choice. Made using recycled fabric from plastic bottles, it is warm but lightweight. Available in a selection of bold and modern prints inspired by the beautiful British landscape, the jacket is fleece-lined and gentle on delicate skin with a cosy sherpa hood. We love the addition of reflective details, ensuring high visibility on gloomy days.
- Breathable (up to 3,000gm2)
- Waterproof (up to 5,000mm)
- Built to last - the jacket is unisex and designed to be passed on to younger siblings
- Machine washable
This cute floral patterned waterproof jacket and matching waterproof trousers set comes in loads of different colours, so your tot can pick their favourite out of blue, purple, green, yellow, pink, red and more.
- 100 per cent waterproof and breathable, made from a cotton and polyester blend
- Elasticated waist and trouser legs
- Size chart means you can find the best fit for your 1-3 year old
Made for little explorers, this fun rain mac is the perfect balance of comfort and colour. This shower-proof yellow mac is perfect for sloshing about in soggy weather. It's got a striped lining throughout the coat and hood, making it nice and cosy to wear. And with poppers and a zip opening, your little puddle-duck will be all wrapped up and ready to splash.
- Machine washable at 40 degrees
- Cool tumble dry
JoJo's bestselling Fisherman's Jacket has had a fabulous update. We love the fox design, featuring a sweet fox face complete with ears popping up. The cheery russet orange tone is guaranteed to brighten up dreary days, and you'll find all the same practical features as the original Fisherman's Jacket, including specialist breathable fabric to keep your child comfortable.
- Cotton lined for cosiness and comfort
- Waterproof and windproof
- Zip closure with Velcro™ storm flap
- Machine wash at 30°
If you want something that you can get on and off your toddler without too much fuss, a rain poncho is the solution. In blue, pink or yellow, each poncho has a hood with cute ears, and comes with a handy little bag the poncho can be packed into when not in use.
- 100% Waterproof and Breathable
- Popper buttons make it easy and quick to put on for those unexpected showers
Hugely popular, and possibly the best purchase you'll make for your little one this season, the 4-in-1 Waterproof Polarfleece Jacket is truly indispensable, and now features a handy coat hook! Designed to be worn four different ways, there is a style to suit every type of weather the season throws at you. Each jacket is made up of varying prints, colours and fabrics, offering different looks too.
- Waterproof 100% Recycled Polyester with PU coating
- 100% Recycled Polyester fleece lining
- Machine wash at 30°
Waterproof trousers and all-in-one puddlesuits
From forest, to sea to shore; in mud or water or sand. Fear not, little adventurers, Spotty Otter have you covered! The Forest Ranger Dungarees will take all that you can throw at them, and more. The waterproof outer is wipe clean, the shoulder straps fully adjustable for a great fit, lots of reflective details to keep kids safe and elasticated ankles that fit over wellies so pesky puddles aren't a problem... Bring it on!
- Waterproof and windproof 100% PU fabric - conforms to Oeko-Tex 100 standard
- Welded seams
- Soft, flexible and durable
- Reflective strips for visibility
- Machine washable (or just wipe-down)
Waterproof splash suit for little adventurers. Whether they're chasing the dog with the hosepipe, having fun in the park or it's a wet weather day at nursery, with this classic puddle suit you have peace of mind they're protected from the rain. Finished with elastic around the cuffs to keep the wet weather out.
- Durable water repellent finish
- Taped seams and grown on hood
- Reflective trim helps to keep them seen during low light
The Spright Printed Junior Rain Suit is perfect for protecting your child in the cold and rainy season. Easy to get on and off, fleece lining for extra warmth and IsoDry fabric with taped seams to keep your child dry and comfortable.
- Waterproof 1500mm - Tested to withstand 1,500mm of rain in a 24 hour period, suitable for light to moderate rain
- Taped Seams
- Breathable - Rated at 1,500g
- Reflective piping
- Fleece lining